The most notable news with the SOLIDWORKS 2024 release is the addition of the ability to save 2024 models to 2023 or 2022 versions. This entirely solves the complaint of lack of backwards compatibility that has generated countless complaints over the decades. This is interesting for me, personally, because in 2014 I wrote a tool called SolidTranslate that used the SOLIDWORKS API to translate models from newer to older versions. I didn’t release it for personal, legal, and business reasons, but the codebase lives on in other interoperability software that will be released at the end of this year. Stay tuned!
Now, onto the API… and not just the SOLIDWORKS API. This post will also cover the PDM API and Document Manager API. And if that’s not enough, I’m also going to cover back to 2020 for completeness’ sake, since the last time I did a “what’s new” post like this was in 2019. Before I do that, please note that this list only covers notable enhancements. You can see all additions and their related API calls in the Release Notes article in the API Help. You can find it in the local API Help by searching for “Release Notes” in the category tab. Note that the local API Help Release Notes will only be as up-to-date as the service pack you have downloaded.
New SOLIDWORKS API Calls and Interfaces
- Creation of the SOLIDWORKS Inspection API.
- Support for belt/chain assembly features.
- Close and reopen a specified drawing document with an ExitDetailingMode option.
- Reload or replace a model document with a force reload option.
- Prompt users for the name of the file to open with options.
- Access the configuration-specific custom property manager of cut-lists.
- Access the configuration-specific custom property manager of components.
- Retrieve errors that occurred during the last call to IFeatureManager::CreateFeature
- Set whether to save as a previous version during model save
New PDM API Calls and Interfaces
- Extended search functionality includes the ability to:
- Get whether a document has cut list items
- Get and set whether focus is on the data card view.
- Get whether a BOM row is a virtual component.
- Creation of the SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional Web API.
New Document Manager API Calls and Interfaces
- Get the type of 3DExperience application that created this document.
Does anything we’ve covered stand out to you as particularly useful or exciting? If so then let us know in the comments!
Want to keep up with future CADSharp.com content and training events? Join our newsletter!